Late Model Schaublin 102N Super-Presicion Lathe
Updated 11 Jan 2018
Schaublin lathes are known for their exceptional Swiss-Made quality and super precision. The company was originally started in 1915 and began by making tools for the Swiss watchmaking industry.
Although Schaublin subsequently introduced much larger machine tools and eventually CNC machines, the Schaublin plain-turning manual lathes, the model 70 and 102 are still in production and considered essential equipment by custom jewelers, custom watchmakers and other fine instrument makers.
Late model new-style (suffix -N) Schaublin 102N lathes were introduced in 1979. Examples built before the original Schaublin company was broken up and sold in the late 1990’s are highly sought after. They were fabricated and hand-fitted by the original Schaublin staff in a continuous tradition that goes back 75 years.
Similar to pre-1965 Fender guitars, pre 1990 new style “N” lathes, made only between 1979 and 1989 are generally considered to be better quality than machines built after the sale.
It is rare that a late-model Schaublin 102N is offered for sale in the U.S. When these machines do appear, they are often neglected and are stripped of tooling. It is often said in Schaublin lathe enthusiast circles that one has to wait for an estate sale for a Schaublin lathe with tooling to be made available for sale.
This is a unique opportunity for the right person.
- SCHAUBLIN Model: 102N-80, serial No. 30043x build year 1982
- On Cast-Iron base with Clutch and Brake system
- W25 spindle for W25 collets or W25 standard M48x3 threaded adapters (collet closers, chuck backplates), can use W20 collets with available W25-W20 adapter and drawbar.
- Screw Operated Carriage, low backlash, (choice of inch or metric graduations), fixing bolt and nut.
- Morse Taper 2 Tailstock (metric graduations)
- 208-230V 3 Phase 50-60 Hz power (see below for details)
- 2 HP Swiss-Made RCB AG Motor – serviced in 2008
- Original paint in good condition for machine age
- Runs well, without unusual noise, headstock bearings in good shape
- NO rust, no signs or accident damage, spindle bore and threads in very good condition, no missing or broken parts, internal wiring in very good condition.
- Tooling included in basic price: W25 Spindle Protector nut, four (4) W25 collets, MT2 Live Center, MT2 Dead Center, Drill Chuck with MT2 shank, four (4) super-heavy duty M24 eyebolts on corners of bed to facilitate transport.
- Basic Machine Price: $6275.- USD
- FOB Burbank, CA 91506 USA
Buyer of lathe has first right of refusal on my extensive collection of tooling for this machine – a near complete set of Schaublin accessories. See list below.
Detailed information about my Schaublin 102 lathe:
- Bed: For underneath drive, type 105-15.000, Length 1 meter, cast-iron, precision ground, wt. 54kg [119 lb]
- Headstock: Closed, for underneath drive, 3 step pulley for flat belts, W25 collets, type 105-31.000, wt 26kg [57 lb]
- Collet Closer: Manually controlled lever operated quick-closing attachment for collets, type 105-30.600 wt 7.3kg [16 lb]
- Tailstock 2 Morse Taper: 102-65.500 Adjustable screw and hand wheel operated tailstock. Metric graduations. 3.15 kg [7 lb]
- Drive System: 1.5 Kw motor (see specs below), driving through clutch and brake (foot pedal operated), through dual V-belt pulleys with two ratios available, to countershaft (foot pedal operated) with a 3 step pulley driving an identical pulley on the lathe spindle driven by a flat belt (Habasit).
- Compound Slide: “carriage”, 102-45.000 (90mm stroke) 12 kg (choice of inch or metric graduations)
- Center height: 4.015 in / 102 mm
- Swing: 8.0 in / 203mm
- Distance between centers: 17.716 in / 450 mm
- Length of the bed: 1 meter [39.37 in]. flat ways, ground cast iron. Undersides of the headstock and tailstock that mate with the bed are hand scraped.
- Spindle Bore: (stepped) 28 mm / 25mm
- Bar Capacity: .75 in / 19 mm (pass through a W25 collet and the collet drawbar)
- Spindle Nose: Type W25, Major Diameter 47.6mm (nominal 48mm), Thread Pitch 3.0mm
- Collet Type: W 25 Gr. 80-5. Max diameter pass-through collet: 19mm [0.75 in], max diameter stepped collet 25.4mm [1 in] See PDF for dimensions of collet. W20 collets with adapter.
- Weight, Basic (Lathe bed, headstock, tailstock, carriage, for bench mounting, without motor) 95 kg [210 lb]
- Weight, Bench Mount, W/ Bench: 102N-CF with 1.5kw motor and bench with Lista cabinet 320 kg [705 lb]
- Weight (including motor, drive system, Cast Iron stand): 560kg [1250 lbs] approximate
Lathe Motor Specs:
- Type: “33,07” 380V 3 phase 2 speed, IEC size DF100L, B-3 Foot / B-14 Face mounted (Metric standard)
- Power: 1.5 / 0.6 Kw (2.0 / 0.81 HP)
- RPM: 2850 / 670 @ 50 Hz, 3420 / 800 @ 60 Hz
- Current Draw: 3.63 / 2.3 @ 380 V
- Manufacturer: RCB Elektroapparate AG, Bienwil Am See, Schweiz (Switzerland), now Smedegarrd AG
- Motor was serviced in 2008.
This lathe is in very good used condition. The bed shows typical wear from light/moderate use. Paint is original and in good condition. Bearing noise from headstock is low.
The machine is offered with a Morse Taper 2 tailstock (metric graduations) and your choice of inch or metric screw-operated carriage. A copy of the Schaublin service manual and parts diagrams are included with the machine.
Location and Moving:
The lathe is currently located in Burbank, CA 91506. I have a set of custom-built casters that can be securely attached to the cast iron base. Along with the large M24 eye bolts at each corner, two men can easily move the machine on a hard level surface.
The lathe’s location does not have a loading dock. Any lift gate truck with a lift capacity of 1500 lbs or greater can lift the machine. Due to the machine’s low center of gravity, unlike other engine lathes, it is not difficult to move it safely.
I have the following items of tooling which will be made available to the purchaser of the machine on a “first right of refusal” basis. All offers on the tooling will be refused until the lathe is sold.
It took over 10 years of diligent searching including two trips to Switzerland to put this tooling package together.
- Screw operated carriage (90mm stroke, additional either inch or metric)
- Star Wheel Drilling Tailstock: New Style “N” drilling tailstock, type 105-69.000 for W25 collets, wt 14.5kg [32 lb] – rare and highly sought after item.
- Steady rest with standard and roller jaws
- W25 collets, metric, near-complete set 0.5 to 25mm, some collets are new
- W25 collets, inch fractional: 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 1″, some collets are new
- W25 collets, inch fractional 16th, 32nd and 64th, incomplete set (64th inch collets are now special-order only from Schaublin and cost over $300.- each)
- W25 Gr. 1 collet closer and machinable collets
- W25 Gr. 2 collet closer and machinable collets
- W25 to W20 reduction adapter & W20 drawbar for quick collet closer.
- 150mm 4-Jaw independent chuck for W25 threaded spindle, Pratt-Burnerd. This is not a chuck on a W25 back plate, but a chuck with an integrated W25 mount. Very rare item no longer available from Schaublin.
- Milling Attachment for W20 collets with vertical slide (fits on carriage)
- Screw-Cutting Attachment (original Schaublin) for 102N with change gears. This is the “driveshaft” style and is no longer available from Schaublin.
- Various items of W25 spindle tooling, many hard to find items, some purchased new.
- Custom bracket to fit Waldmann Lamp
- GE / Fuji 460V Inverter Drive with remote display
- 3HP Arco Roto-Phase rotary phase converter (allows lathe to be powered by 208-230V single-phase power.
More information on Schaublin lathes:
- Schaublin lathe page on anglo-swiss-tools.co.uk (Dr. David Samways) Also supplier of used Aciera, Schaublin, Mikron and other fine Swiss lathes and mills, plus accessories.
- Schaublin lathe page on lathes.co.uk (Tony Griffiths). Also supplier for information and manuals for various lathes, and suppier of the Fenner Nu-T-Link belt.
CinemaTechnic Home | Products | Services | Resources | Jorge Diaz-Amador